PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) is published by Bluehole Inc. for Microsoft Windows. It is very popular because it is actually a massively multiplayer online survival game and it is very exciting.
The game is based on battle royal game modifications made by a man known as Brendan “PlayerUnknown” Greene.
Up to 100 players parachute onto an island and scavenge for weapons and equipment. Their task is to kill others and to save their own lives, of course. There are also safe areas and their size depends – it is reduces as the game is moving forward. Every 5 minutes the safe area shrinks and you have to do everything you can to be in that safe place if you want to survive and to take some rest. Every match takes no more than 30 minutes.
As we said, everything is happening on an island with the map which offers players so many exciting options for wide range of strategies. Interesting thing is that some buildings, houses and structures were created to depict the architecture of the Soviet Union during the 1950s. The whole game has historical background so you can learn some things while playing it. There are many terrains for battle encounters.
Micro transactions allow players to use more skins which can be traded with other players.
Release and competition
On May 3 Bluehole Studio announced that PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has sold 2 million copies worldwide in just one month. The game is not finished yet but the team claim that it will be completed in 6 or 7 months. The focus will be on implementing new tools and making the game buffed out and polished.
The final version of the game will allow players to customize and play it the way they want to. There will be plenty of new features and all of them will be based on feedback from the community during Early Access.
The company gave us a shot with a short list of features that are going to be built in.
- Custom games: This feature allows groups of players to create their own games with special server configurations. Players will be able to choose the number of players, watch the round or to set their game as private and protect them with password.
- Gunplay: For more realistic and visceral experience players will use real-world weapons
- 8km x 8km world: An island is set in Eastern Europe and every player begins as weak survivor. The goal is to develop into powerful soldier. You have a lot of ways to do that on this massive, deserted ground.
- Unreal Engine 4: PUBG uses modern development tools for the most realistic visuals, animations and gameplay.
- Metagame tools: Leader boards and statistics plus replays and spectator mode tool are coming after Early Access Launch.
- Localization: The game is going to be available in 12 languages – English, French, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, German, Korean, Arabic, Polish, Spanish, Portuguese and Turkish.
PUBG made $11 million in the first 3 days of its early access release. Since then, Battlegrounds is regularly ranked as a top streamed game on Twitch. To celebrate this success, Bluehole will organize Charity Invitational event for 128 players to raise money for Gamers Outreach.